Energy Proficiency Certificate questions.

certificado-de-eficiencia-energetica-murciaRecently I have had a number of people ask me if the Energy Proficiency certificate needs to be Visado.  The answer to this is no, it is not required by law any notary or land registry will verify this to you. Your solicitor should also advise you the same and if they tell you it is needed then you should ask them where it is stated in the Official State Bulletin (BOE) because it is not! A Visado, which is the little blue stamp or now the computerized stamp should appear on any official building plans to be submitted to the town hall for a planning permission license for building a property or extensions but is not required on the energy certificate.  The person issuing the certificate must be a qualified architect or technical architect.

Another question being asked is if the person buying the property state they do not require the certificate, can it be wavered?

There is a exception to the rule, if the property is only going to be used for 4 months of the year them the certificate is not needed. This will have to be declared in the deeds & the new owners will be responsible for this declaration. The notary will warn you in Spanish that the risk of this being checked is quite real and that the fine if found to be untrue is between 600 & 1000€ (a energy certificate should not cost you more than 140€ for a apartment & 180€ for a town house or villa) the way that this is checked is buy looking at the utility bills etc.

The Energy certificate now has to be registered at the Registro de Certificación de Eficencia Energétic de Edificios. This is a process where the registered architect registers the certificate and will need a photocopy of your N.I.E. number and  your written consent to register the certificate. It can be done on line by the Architect but he will need to have his details registered with a digital signature. You can register your own certificate ( but it is a bit of a complicated process as you will have to register yourself as a client and it is all in Spanish. The architect may want to charge you for this service.

We offer this service included in the fee for all our clients wishing to obtain a certificate and free of charge for all our clients who have already obtained a certificate with us.

For more information please contact me on 617354758 or email me

About Patrick Vine

I am a Englishman living and working in Spain as a property consultant dealing with the technical and legal aspects faceing the expat communities living in the south Alicante & north Murcia areas. I am married to a wonderfull Spanish girl called Inés and have 3 children. Jessica, Rubén & Joshua.
This entry was posted in Electricity, Energy Performance Certificates and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s