How to register extensions, pools, garages etc, with the Rates office.



How to register extensions, pools, garages etc, with the Rates office..

Registering unregistered extensions, pools, garages etc with the rates office.
If your pool, extension or house does not appear on your rates bill what should you do?
This is a simple process to register your property at the rates office. Recently I have had a number of people ask me about doing this and the steps are as follows:-
1. Appoint an engineer, architect to draw up plans of the property including the extensions. The plans will show the property, extension, pool or garage on your plot, the plot in relation to other plots in the area. The engineer needs to be registered with the school of engineers in Spain, or if an architect then it is important that he is registered with the Spanish school of architects. A British registered architect is not recognised in Spain. If you draw your own plans to be presented they will not be accepted by the Spanish rates office. The cost of this service should not exceed 400€. The rates office may require an antiquity certificate from the technician which certifies that the extensions are more than four years old and are exempt from any fine for illegally building without the appropriate licences. This piece of paperwork is also very helpful if you require the extension, pool outhouse or garage included on your deeds. The price of this certificate is now  included in the price as of 2nd of may 2011. (It was 150€ before).
2. Take the plans with a the original deeds (escritura) copy of your passport & or residencia, utility bills, photos of the property & last rates bill to the Suma office with a filled in 902N form & the rates office will send these to the Catastro office. You can download this form here.
You will get a copy of the application form from the Suma office with a tracking number so you can follow the progress of your petition.
(If you later wish to have the extensions added to your deeds then this paperwork will be useful).
This process will take a year before the property, extensions etc. are registered and then you will have to pay the rates for the extensions etc. for the last 4 years.
If you do nothing about your unregistered property then you will get a letter from the Tax office or Catastro asking you to put your property in order so they can charge you the proper rates. Then you will need to do the above process quite soon.
If you do nothing once the tax office or Catastro office has written to you then you will face fine.
You can check on line if your property is registered at the Catastro web site. Click here to access web site. Enter your Catastro reference number and view your property.
If your property shows up just as a plot then it has not been registered. The house may appear but not the pool or garage.
If you have difficulty in understanding Spanish or would prefer to employ our services to undertake the registering of your property then please contact me on 617354758 or send an email to
My charge for this to administrate this service is 100€ which includes appointing an engineer or architect, organising inspection of property paperwork measuring of plot etc. Presentation of paperwork at the rates office of plans, deeds and filling in of necessary forms.
The area I deal with is south Alicante. If you live in another area please feel free to contact me and I may be able to put you in contact with a gestor that can deal with this simple process.

About Patrick Vine

I am a Englishman living and working in Spain as a property consultant dealing with the technical and legal aspects faceing the expat communities living in the south Alicante & north Murcia areas. I am married to a wonderfull Spanish girl called Inés and have 3 children. Jessica, Rubén & Joshua.
This entry was posted in Register extentions, pools, garages etc. with rates office (Catastro). and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to How to register extensions, pools, garages etc, with the Rates office.

  1. Pingback: Orihuela town hall to deal with illegal properties that evade paying taxes. | Finding Solutions for the Expat Community.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s